Friday, January 8, 2016

Books I Read In December


December was a pretty good reading month for me, I managed to reach my goal of reading 120 books for 2015! Which is a significant improvement to what I read in 2014 (50 books), but not as crazy as the 260 books my mom read. Here are the books that I read and some of my thoughts and opinions on them:

Crimson Bound by Rosumund Hodge - This is a loose Little Red Riding Hood retelling, where the main character was lured by the wolf's temptation and is trying to save the world and redeem herself. I really enjoyed this book, specifically the romance and fantasy elements. I did have some trouble getting into the first half of the story, and trying to figure out the world development. The second half of the better blew me away, and I really enjoyed the ending. I really enjoyed the author's writing, and I'm looking forward to reading her other book, Cruel Beauty, which is a Beauty and the Beast retelling.

Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman - This two book revolve around Allyson and Willem, a couple who had just met and spontaneously spend a day together in Paris. Just One Day follows Allyson's side of the story, and I loved her character development throughout. While Just One Year follows Willem's side of the story and I really love how the two stories combined and completed each other. Overall I absolutely loved this series, I haven't been in a huge mood for contemporaries lately but these two might have caused me to change my tune. I did have a problem with how these two books wrapped up but that was solved in companion novella, Just One Night.

Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - This is the final installment in the Starbound Trilogy. Overall I really enjoyed this conclusion, I love how the characters and the story came together in the end. I really enjoyed Kaufman and Spooner's writing and I can't wait to read their next series that comes out next year.

My True Love Gave to Me edited by Stephanie Perkins - This is a collection of twelve, holiday short stories by different YA authors. I had a lot of hopes that this book would get me into the holiday spirit and I was a little disappointed. I really enjoyed several of the stories, specifically the ones by Jenny Han, Stephanie Perkins, and Rainbow Rowell, but I struggled to get through some of the other stories. Overall this book was just okay for me, but I do see myself rereading some of the stories again during the holiday seasons to come.

Queen Red Riding Hood's Guide To Royalty by Chris Colfer - This is a companion novel to Colfer's Land of Stories series, this book revolves around the character Red and is her response to Machiavelli's, The Prince. I went into this book with high expectations because Red is my favorite character of the series and I love her humor. Ultimately I was a little let down because I went in with too high of expectations, but I did enjoy it. It was a quick read and I think that fans of the Land of Stories series will enjoy it as well.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor - This trilogy is a twist on the angles verses demons story, where two sides have been fighting against each other in an endless war and two people are hoping to end the war. This series blew me away, I loved it so much. I did have a couple issues with the plot in each book, and how some things weren't wrapped up in the end, but overall I loved each book. Laini Taylor's is so gorgeous and poetic and I can't wait to read more of her books.

And those are round out the books that I read in 2015. I'm going to be pretty busy with school this year, so I'm tentatively setting my reading goal for this year at 70 books. Theres so many books that I need to read on my shelves and so many new releases coming out this year and I hope that I will be able to get to all of them. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment