Sunday, December 6, 2015

Books I Read in November


November was an okay reading month for me, I read a total of 9 books, which is a pretty good amount considering I didn't have a lot of time to read. My reading month can pretty much be summarized by a lot of J.K. Rowling and Maggie Stiefvater books, since I read three books by both of them. Here are the books that I read and some of my thoughts on them:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Illustrated Edition) by J.K. Rowling & Jim Kay - Bloomsbury and Scholastic are releasing one illustrated editions of the whole Harry Potter series for the next seven years. This is the first book, and I have been looking forward to the release for so long. Jim Kay's illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and I really love his interpretations of the story. I absolutely love the different experience that I got while reading this edition and the fact that the illustrated editions are going to open up the world of Harry Potter to a whole new generation. I honestly can't wait for the rest of the series to be released,

Very Good Lives - J.K. Rowling - This is J.K. Rowling's Harvard commencement speech in book form and I listened along to her speech while reading this book. I found Rowling's speech very inspiration when I first heard it and I really enjoyed what the illustrations brought to the story. Overall this was a really quick and enjoyable read.

Winter by Marissa Meyer - This is the final installment of the Lunar Chronicles, which is a series that I absolutely love and I have been looking forward to the release of this book since I finished Cress last year. This book did not disappoint, I loved it so much. Even though this book is over 800 pages, I breezed through it in two days. I did have a very small issue with one of the plot points of the ending, but overall this series wrapped so well.

Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith - This is the third book in the Cormoran Stike series written by J.K. Rowling under a pseudonym. I really have enjoyed this series so far, the stories are entertaining and I've developed an attachment to the main characters. I liked the plot of this book, better than the second book (which might be my least favorite of the series), and I enjoyed the mystery in this as well. I'm really curious to see where J.K. Rowling is taking these characters, because of the massive cliffhanger this one left off on.

Pretending to Be Erica by Michelle Painchaud - This book follows Violet as she pretends to be Erica, a girl from a rich family who was kidnapped a decade before. I was drawn to this book because of the premise and I went into this book with pretty high hopes and in the end I was a little disappointed with how it was executed. This book was well written, although the story dragged in some places, but I was really expecting more from the plot. I did end up liking the ending and how everything came together in the end.

The Last Leaves Falling by Sarah Benwell - This book follows Sora, a Japanese teenager, after he is diagnosed with ALS and how he develops friendships online. I really enjoyed reading this book, and managed to read through it pretty fast. The story was beautiful written and at times tore at my heart. I really enjoyed the modern Japanese setting, which is something I've never read before. I did have a couple of problems one was with Sora and his friends first meeting and I found it unrealistic how they met up in real life after talking to each other a couple of times online. I also wasn't a huge fan of how the story wrapped up, but overall this was a fantastic read.

The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, and Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater - This series follows Blue and the Raven Boys (Gansey, Adam, Noah, and Ronan) as they search for an ancient king. I'm really enjoying this series, and how vast the story is. The story and the characters are so well developed, and there is a hint of a romance in the second and third books that I absolutely love. Blue is one of my favorite, strong female characters, and some of the things that she says to the boys are golden. I am looking forward to the last book, The Raven King, which is due to come out in April of next year.

And those are the books that I read in November. I've already got a stack of books that I plan to read this month as I am 8 books away from by goal of reading 120 books this year. As always, feel free to follow me on Goodreads to see my reviews on these books and I see my progress this month. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment