Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Books I Read in January


I managed to read 18 books in January! That's the most that I've ever read in one month and that's mostly because I read all the Sailor Moon mangas. So although 12/18 books that I read where really quick and easy reads this year I'm already off to a good start. Here are the books that I read and some of my thoughts and opinions on them:

Burn for Burn Trilogy by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian - This trilogy follows three girls in high school who are trying to get revenge on the people who have betrayed them. I really enjoyed reading this trilogy and I sped through it. I was a little hesitant to read these books because I thought they would be a little cliche and they wouldn't live up to Jenny Han's other books, but I was proven wrong. I did have some problems with the character development and the storyline. Overall I actually liked how this series wrapped up, I've seen that some people have had problems with the ending but I felt that it was a entertaining read.

Sailor Moon Vol. 1-12 by Nakoto Takeuchi - I recently started watching Sailor Moon since they are slowly adding all of the series on Hulu and I've never seen the whole series. I initially liked the manga more than the show, but as the story progressed I felt that the story wasn't developed enough and parts of the story were confusing. Overall they were a pretty enjoyable and quick read.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge - This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, where the main character is forced to marry the beast character in an attempt to murder him. I recently read Hodge's other book Crimson Bound and I was really looking forward to reading this one. I noticed a lot of similarities in the storytelling of the two books, as the story took quite a while to build up and that I had a hard time following them at points. Overall I really enjoyed this story and the characters, and I ended up liking this book more than Crimson Bound.

Beastly Bones by William Ritter - This is the second book in the Jackaby series and I thought it was so much better than the first book. I found the story much more entertaining and less predictable than the first one. I also really enjoyed the character development in this book. This book also left off on a interesting cliffhanger so I'm looking forward to the third book release in August.

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi - This is the first book in the WondLa trilogy, that follows a girl, Eva Nine, who is raised in a sanctuary by a robot and when she leaves her sanctuary the outside world has changed and she's the only human. I really enjoyed this book, it's full of gorgeous illustrations and had a really cool storyline and dystopian element. I felt that this book was a great set up for a trilogy and I can't wait to see what happens next.

And those are all the books that I read in the month of January. I also started the second Wondla book and Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay, and I'm almost done with both of them and I'm really enjoying them. I've got quite a few books that I want to read this month, with all the new releases that are coming out and I also hoping to tackle some Jane Austen. As always, feel free to follow me on Goodreads to see my ratings for these books and to see my progress this month. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment