Thursday, February 15, 2018

Reading Slumps


Arguably one of the worst things for a reader to hear is the term "reading slump." I think one of the most frightening parts of having a reading slump is the uncertainty surrounding how long they can last. When I was in high school, I only read a handful of books on my own accord, and I fear that I will revert back to those times when I didn't read on a regular basis. Ultimately, I don't want to lose my love of stories or lose my love of getting consumed within the pages of a book.

I'm so used to reading almost every single day but earlier this month, I went almost a full week without picking up a book. At that point, I started to panic. I searched my shelves for a book that I actually had a desire to read, since I've learned that I tend to not enjoy a book as much when I force myself to read. I ultimately decided to reread The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson, and just three days later, I had finished the entire trilogy. I think revisiting favorite books is one of the best cures for reading slumps. Even though, I know what's going to happen in the end, there are always so many elements I've forgotten and details that I didn't pick up on before. My recent rereads have really fueled my desire to reread more books, and I'm already planning my TBR to include some more of my favorite series. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment