Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Books I Read In May


I read 8 books in May, which I'm very pleased with since I was traveling for almost half the month. So here are the books I read and some of my thoughts and opinions on them...

A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas - This is a novella directly following the events of A Court of Wings and Ruin. I really enjoyed this book, it's different from anything else SJM has written, mostly because there's no big, looming conflict for the characters. I really enjoyed seeing some of my favorite characters in a relaxed setting and I really loved how well this set up for the next book in the series.  

The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro - This is the third book in the Charlotte Holmes series, which follows the descendants of Sherlock Holmes and James Watson. I really liked the first book in this series, but I found the second book disappointing, so I was a little hesitant to pick this book up. I think this book was a huge improvement over the second one, but I was really surprised to hear that there will be another book in this series, because I think this one wrapped the series up really nicely.

Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian - This book is about a princess, whose throne has been stolen, and she has to team up with the son of her usurper to win her throne back. I enjoyed this book, it definitely isn't the most original story, but the writing and the storyline kept me entertained. 

Furyborn by Clara Legrand - This book follows two sides of a war, across a thousand years, from the girl who started the war, and the hero who is prophesied to end it. This book blew me away, the story is so ambitious and the execution is so well done. This is the first book in a trilogy, and I'm looking forward to the release of the next book.

War Storm by Victoria Aveyard - This is the final installment in the Red Queen series. I really enjoyed this installment, for an almost 700 page book, it did drag in some places, but I didn't mind because this book added so much to the world building and the characterization. I did struggle wrapping my head around the ending, but I'm pretty satisfied with how this series wrapped up.

The Falconer Trilogy by Elizabeth May - This trilogy follows a fae hunter in 17th century Scotland. I liked the first book of the series, but I fell absolutely in love with the two concluding novels. The first book set up the plot, that I think the second book benefited from, and allowed for the world and the characters to develop.

And those are the books I read in May. I've got quite a bit of catching up that I want to do on my reading goal, and I've already read quite a bit this month. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment