Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Books I Read In June


Here's my June book wrap up post! I managed to get this post out a little earlier than usual (since usually try to get my books posts out at the beginning of the next month), but this month I decided to change it up. This month I read all YA contemporaries, with the one exception of An Ember In The Ashes. So here's my thoughts on the books I read, and I did talk about some spoilers in this post.

An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir - I've seen so much hype surrounding this book and I was really looking forward to reading it. I ended up really liking this book, and I weirdly liked the first half of the book more that the second (usually I like the second half more). The plot was so well developed and I'm really intrigued by how complex and thought out the universe is. The sequel is scheduled to come out next year, and I want it now so I can see how this story continues to develop.

And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard - This book was just okay to me. It was extremely well written and the subject matter was so intense but I had trouble getting into the story and connecting with the main character.

The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark - As a figure skating enthusiast, I really enjoyed this book. I really like books told in alternating perspectives, and with this one I liked reading from Gabe's point of view a little more than Maddy. Overall I felt the story and Gabe and Maddy's relationship was really well developed, but I felt that it didn't end realistically. One of the things that surprised me about this book, was how well developed the family relationships were and I really loved that aspect of this book.

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick - I read this book right after reading The Boy Next Door, and there ended up being several similarities, but I did end up really liking this book. I really loved reading about the Garretts family, and I really liked the dynamic of the family. I did have a problem with the ending, I felt that it was abrupt and not conclusive. There is a sequel coming out in August I hope that some of the things I had problems with will be wrapped up.

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West - I love me some Kasie West, her other YA contemporary books are so adorable and beautiful. So I had high expectations going into this one and they were met. Fake relationships are such a cliche, but I honestly really love them. The relationship between Hayden and Gia was so sweet and I really loved how Gia's character developed. This might actually be my favorite out of her three contemporaries.

Backlash by Sarah Darer Littman - I wanted to really like this book but overall it was just okay to me. I thought the premise of cyberbullying is really interesting, but I think it felt a little like a PSA. I also initially had trouble connecting to the four main narrators, but I did end up liking Liam's a lot more than the others.

My Life With The Walter Boys by Ali Novak - This book centers around Jackie, who is sent to live with the Walter family, after her family dies in a car accident. It took a while for me to get into this book, because there are TWELVE Walter kids and I had to trouble trying to figure who was who. I wasn't a huge fan of the love triangle, but I did really like the banter between Jackie and Cole. I really liked the dynamic of the Walter family and the minor characters of the family, like Nathan and Danny. I was really thrown off by the ending, and I felt like there needed to be more. There is a sequel that scheduled to come out next year, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson - This book follows childhood acquaintances, Amy and Roger, as they travel cross country across the US. book was incredibly cute. I really liked how Matson developed the relationship between Amy and Roger, I also like how Amy's character developed and how much she had changed from beginning to end. I really liked how Matson went on the same trip as Amy and Roger and put in special moments (pictures, playlists, and receipts) to add to their journey.

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson - This book centers around Taylor and her family after they learn that her father has cancer. This book is so beautiful, I absolutely fell in love with this story. I could tell from the beginning that this book was going to be a tear jerker, and I was sobbing by the end of it. I love how this book handles the family's relationships, romance, and tragedy. I ended up becoming really attached to the characters, they're story is beautifully written and developed.

Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider - I read Robyn Schneider's novel The Beginning of Everything last month and I liked it. I was looking forward to reading her new book, and I had hopes that it would have a happier ending than The Beginning of Everything. *Spoiler alert* it didn't and I had a sense of dread for the characters each time I turned the page. I actually liked this book better than The Beginning of Everything, I really enjoyed the characters and the relationship between Lane and Sadie. I really liked how well thought out the medical side of this book was, as the main characters are in a research facility/boarding house for an drug resistant TB. Overall I really liked this book and am interested in reading what Robyn Schneider puts out next.

And those are the books I read this month. I plan on reading two trilogies this month, the Summer trilogy by Jenny Han and the Shatter Me trilogy by Tahereh Mafi, and working through some of the unread books that I own. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment