Thursday, August 13, 2015

Top Five Books I've Read This Year (So Far)


2015 is more than half over, and so far I've read 71 books this year. When I started my goal of reading more books this year, I didn't think I'd make this much progress in a little over 7 months. I had really wanted to beat last year's record of 40 books, but now that I've read so many I want to see if I can read 100 books, maybe even 125 this year. So here are my favorite books I've read so far this year and a short explanation as to why:

1. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenze - I knew from the second that I read the summary of this book that I would love it. The story is so beautiful and touching that I became swept up in it. I absolutely fell in love with everything about this book, so much so that I have trouble placing all those feelings into words.

2. The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson - This book is the sequel to Kiss of Deception, which I had read earlier this year and I had liked the story but I wasn't blown away by it. So I didn't have very many expectations going into this book, and I ended up absolutely loving it. I absolutely love slow building and complex stories so reading this book was like eating candy. This book was so well developed and as I was turning each page I was anxious for what would happen next. Everything in this book is building up so much and I'm anxiously awaiting for the next book to come out.

3. I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson - I absolutely love how this story was told with the alternating perspectives between the twins. This book is so beautifully written and I love how all the elements of the story developed. The ending of this story was so beautifully crafted and I love how everything came together at the end.

4. To All The Boy's I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - I honestly expected this book to be a cheesy YA romance novel, and I was proven wrong. The romantic elements are there (and they're really cute), but there's so much more than that. I really loved the family elements, and the main character, Lara Jean, is the most realistic and relatable character that I've read in YA literature.

5. Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson - This book surprised me so much. I read this while I was in a mood to read some cute YA contemporary books, and I wasn't expecting anything to really come of reading it. But I became so emotionally involved in the story and the characters. One of my favorite things is when a book is so well written that I become absorbed in the characters and their experiences. I experienced that while reading this book and I was sobbing by the end of it.

I have several books that I didn't include in this list but I still love, like Vicious by V. E. Shwab and Two Kissing Boys by David Levithan. So maybe the ones that I didn't add to this post will end up on my top 10 favorite books of 2015 post later this year. There are also books that are coming out later this year that I feel will end up on that list, like Winter by Melissa Meyer and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. As always you can follow me on Goodreads to see what I'm currently reading as I try to read 100 books by the end of the year (fingers crossed!) - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment