Friday, October 2, 2015

Books I Read In September


September was a really good month for me in terms of reading, I ended up reading a total of 12 books. Almost half of those books are from the Throne of Glass series, and those books are pretty giant (the latest one is 650 pages). Most of the books I read this month are fantasy novels, and I rediscovered my love for this genre. I'm now officially obsessed with Sarah J. Maas, I read all of her books this month and I am going to read everything she puts out in the future. So here are the books that I read, and some-what-spoiler-free thoughts I have on them:

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King - This book centers around a girl, Astrid, as she deals with her family and comes to terms with her sexuality. I really enjoyed reading this book, it was beautifully written and Astrid is such an interesting narrator. I'm still a little on the fence about how I felt about the passengers stories through out the novel, I found a majority of them disinteresting and confusing. Astrid was easily my favorite part of this novel, and I really loved her characterization.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas - This is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, that centers around Fayre after she kills a wolf and a beast demands that she must pay for it. I am so happy that I finally picked up this book, because it was so good. Through out reading this book I forgot that it was a retelling, because the story just felt so unique. I think that can be contributed to Maas writing because she knows how to write action, romance, and characters so well. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series coming out, because this book was so good but also because I'm a little scared of what Maas is going to next.

Half Bad and Half Wild by Sally Green - This book is set in a modern society where witches secretly live and are classified by there blood. The main character, Nathan, was born to a white, "good" witch and his father is the "evilest," black witch. I found the premise of this book really interesting, and I liked the first book. It was well written, but there were parts of the story that I didn't find interesting. The second book, on the other hand, I liked way more than the first. I really liked where the story was going during the second book and I found that I had a better understanding of the characters. What I really liked through out this series was Nathan's relationship with other characters, especially his brother, Gabriel, and his father. Overall I've enjoyed this series so far and I'm looking forward for the final book.

Legend: Graphic Novel by Marie Lu, Leigh Dragoon, and Kaari - This is the graphic novel adaption to the first book in the Legend series. I had previously read the series last month and I absolutely loved it. I really liked the art style but a lot of the original content was cut and as a result I felt the story lost a lot of it's pacing and development. I think this is a really cool addition for fans of the Legend series but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who hasn't already read the first book. This was my first foray into reading graphic novels and I really hope to read more in the future.

Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa - This book centers around three friends, Jeremy, Mira and Sebby. The thing that really intrigued me about this books is told by three friends and they are each told in a different point of view. I've never read that before, and it's really interesting to jump between chapters and have the point of view switch from first to second to third. I really liked how this book touched upon some series subjects and how it handled diversity. There were points in this book that I thought were just weird, but I did ended up really enjoying the characters and the ending.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman - This story follows Tristran Thorn as he ventures into a fairy tale world to retrieve a fallen star. I really liked how this book felt like a fairy tale at times but there were some really obvious adult moments to the story. This book had some slow moments, but overall it was an enjoyable read.

Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas - I'll be posting a full review for this series next week. But I will say now that I absolutely loved this series and I can't believe it took me so long to read it. 


And those are the books I read in September. I've got a lot of unread books to work through (because I have a book buying problem, here's the evidence), and so many new books are coming out this month that I'm looking forward to, particularly Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (cough J.K.Rowling cough) and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. As always, feel free to follow me on Goodreads to see my reviews on these books and I see my progress this month. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment