Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Books I Read In May



This May I read a total of 12 books, 4 of which were rereads and then 3 of which were on my most anticipated releases of this year. Now that I'm on summer break I have definitely started reading more, because I somehow have to make up for the book buying binge I went on last month. So here are the books that I read and some of my opinions on them:

Everything That Makes You by Moriah McStay - This book follows two different perspectives of the same girl, in one perspective she has struggled with a the consequences of an accident that left the right side of her face scared, and in the other she didn't have that accident. I enjoyed this story and the idea is really unique, but I did have some problems with the pacing and ending. This story is told in alternating perspectives and I found that this story jumped around a lot, this isn't a very long book but I feel that it could have been longer. There were aspects of this book that I really enjoyed like the different perspectives of certain character and the character development.

Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay - This books is a Sleeping Beauty retelling but draws elements from various other fairy tale stories. I found this book a little disappointing, I read Staecy Jay's other fairy tale retelling, Of Beast and Beauty, earlier this year and absolutely loved it, and Princess of Thorns doesn't compare. It took me a really long time to get into the story and I found that certain aspects of the plot weren't explained well. I did enjoy this book as the story progressed and I did like the character development but I did expect more from reading this.

The Crown by Kiera Cass - This is the 5th and final installment of the Selections Series. I really enjoyed this ending, this series has had it's ups and downs but I think it ended on a high note. I enjoyed the story and character developments and I left this book feeling really satisfied with the series.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas - This is the second book in Maas' Beauty and the Beast retelling/Fae trilogy. This book almost destroyed me, I loved it so much. I absolutely love the character development and the direction that this story is headed. I really just love everything about Sarah J. Maas' writing and I'm anxiously looking forward to the final installment of this trilogy.

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson - This book follows Andie, who has her whole summer planned out and then due to her father's political scandal her life is turned upside down and unexpected things happen to her. I love Morgan Matson's books, I think she writes some of the best YA contemporaries and this one did not disappoint. I really loved the stories and the characters, especially Clark (he might have beaten Henry from Second Chance Summer as my favorite of Matson's male characters). This book had everything that I could have possibly wanted and it was just a perfect summer read.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan - This series follows, Percy after he learns that he is the son of Poseidon. This is another reread for me this year, I read these books so long ago that I had forgotten a lot of plot points. I really enjoyed rereading this series, it's such a fun and extremely complex and unique twist to classic Greek Mythology. I'm hoping to finish off reading the sequel series this month and the rest of Riordan's books this year.

Falling Kingdoms and Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes - These are the first two books in a fantasy series that centers around four characters from neighboring kingdoms that are on the brink of war. I'm liking this series so far, I enjoy the characters and I'm interested to see how the world continues to develop because I feel that the first two books were more of a set up for the rest of the series. I will definitely be continuing on with the series this month.

And those are all the books I read last month and my thoughts on them. I have a lot of books I want to read this month, especially the Heroes of Olympus Series. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment