Thursday, June 30, 2016

Favorite Books I've Read in 2016 (So Far!)


So we are at the end of June and that means that we are officially more than halfway through the year. So far this year I have read 76 books, and I'm really surprised by that amount because it surpasses the goal that I set for myself earlier this year. So here are my top five books I've read so far this year...

1. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas - This is the second book in the A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy. I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy, but I was a little hesitant towards how some of the plot lines had ended and I wasn't sure how I would like them in this book. I absolutely love the direction that Maas took this book, I think that some of the plot points were unexpected but I really enjoyed the story development. One of my favorite things about this book is the character development, particularly with Feyre and Rhysand, it was just so well done. This book was constantly surprising me and I love when books do that.

2. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski - This is the first book in the Winner's Trilogy, which centers around a well respected general's daughter, Kestrel, after she purchases a slave. I breezed through this whole trilogy a couple months ago and I really loved it. I feel this book is so unique, it's reads like a fantasy novel but there aren't any fantastical elements. I found Kestrel's character really refreshing, she's a strong female character who is not a fighter, she instead relies on her brain as her main weapon. This book is pretty romance heavy but I absolutely loved that element of the story.

3. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson - This book follows Andie, who has her whole summer planned out and then due to her father's political scandal her life is turned upside down and unexpected things happen to her. I loved and read all of Morgan Matson's previously published books and I knew that I would love this book, but I think it might be my favorite of hers. I really loved the characters in this book, and the character development that Andie and the other characters go through. I really loved the relationships in this book, the relationships among the group of friends, family, and romances were really well written.

4. The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan - This is the third book in The Heroes of Olympus series. I debated over which Rick Riordan book I would put on this list, because I have read 10 so far this year and I loved all of them. It was between this one and The Titan's Curse, but I ultimately went with this book because I didn't want to include rereads. I absolutely love how this series merges Greek and Roman mythology and I loved that in this book a bunch of characters came together and the story seamed to be progressing more.

5. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare - This is the last book in The Infernal Devices trilogy. I finally jumped on the bandwagon this year and started reading the Shadowhunter books, and while I enjoyed The Mortal Instruments series, I didn't love it. Even though I didn't love TMI, I absolutely love this trilogy and it's characters. This book in particular had me sobbing so much, the story was beautifully done.

So those are my favorite books that I read during the first half of 2016. I've got a lot more books to read and a lot of new releases on my radar for the last half of the year. And since I've surpassed the reading goal that I set at the beginning of the year, I'm thinking of challenging myself to read 140 books this year, so fingers crossed! - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment