Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Books I Read In July


July wasn't my best reading month this year, I still managed to read nine books even though I didn't have a whole lot of time to read. So here's the books that I read and some of my thoughts and opinions on them:

Signs Point to Yes by Sandy Hall - This book follows Jane as she starts babysitting the younger sisters of the guy she has a crush on. I had previously read Hall's debut, A Little Something Different, and I ended up loving it. I thought that this book was cute, as I expected it to be, but it wasn't as memorable and the storyline fell a little flat to me.

We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson - This is a coming of age story that follows Henry Denton, a boy who has frequently been abducted by aliens and they have given him the choice to save the world in 144 by pressing a red button, which he has has no intentions of doing. I absolutely loved this book, it is definitely one of my favorite books I've read this year. I loved the characterization and the writing, especially the narration. Overall this book felt different from any other coming of age story that I've read, and it was a beautiful read.

Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate - This book follows seven students after their school is involved in a major scandal. I enjoyed this book, I did have some problems initially with the narration because the story is divided into seven different points of view. I did get used to the different points of view, and I thought it was unique that the author had each character represent the seven different sins. As a result though of the different characters, there were some characters that I absolutely loved and others that I didn't like as much, which might have influenced my opinions on the book as a whole, but for the majority I really enjoyed this book.

Gathering Darkness and Frozen Tides by Morgan Rhodes - These are the third and fourth books in The Falling Kingdoms series. The first two books in the series felt like set up books and I wasn't sure of the direction that the author was taking the stories. In these two books I felt that the story really picks up and I fell in love with the story. I really liked how the characters developed and I can't wait to read book five when it comes out at the end of the year.

An Author's Odyssey by Chris Colfer - This book is the fifth book in The Land of Stories series, a middle grade series about twins, Alex and Conner, as they travel to a fairy tale world. I love this series and for the most part I really loved this books. I loved the story and it was so unique and fun, but the only problem that I had with this book is that there is so much build up toward the next book (which is supposed to be the last in the series), and I don't like how a lot of elements are left unresolved. I am highly anticipating the last book because this one left off on a major cliffhanger and I can't wait to read how it will all end.

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby - This book follows Finn as he tries to find his friend after she has been kidnapped. I enjoyed this book, the writing was beautiful and I liked the characters and elements of magical realism within the story. This book won the Printz prize last year, and I can definitely understand why.

The Young Elites by Marie Lu - This book takes place in a fantasy world, where some survivors of an illness develop supernatural powers, and follows Adelina as she learns to control hers to take part in a rebellion. I have loved Lu's previous works and this one met some pretty high expectations. This book was a lot darker then I expected, but I enjoyed the world and the fantasy elements. I really liked the characters as well, so I'm interested to see how the rest of the trilogy plays out.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by 

No comments:

Post a Comment