Friday, December 16, 2016

Bookish Goals For 2016 (Con't)


At the beginning of the year, I set a couple of bookish goals for myself. One of the goals I set for myself was to read 70 books, I surpassed that goal and have so far read a total of 135 books (with two weeks to spare). I also made a list of books that I would like to read this year, and did not do as good of a job with reaching the goal of this list. So here's the list of books that I wanted to get through this year:

1. Jane Austen collection - Of the 6 novels that Jane Austen wrote, I read one this year. And I almost didn't finish it. I started reading Persuasion in February and I didn't end up finishing it until this month. And it wasn't because it's a terrible book (I really loved it), but I was slowly reading it and I just kept picking up other books to read instead.  One day I will read the rest of her novels, because I absolutely loved Persuasion and I know her other books are just as loved.

2. The Grisha Trilogy and Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - I feel really accomplished because I read all four of these books this year, plus the sequel to Six of Crows, Crooked Kingdom. I really enjoy Bardugo's writing, and her characters. I definitely understand why her books are so popular now.

3. Forgive Me if I've Told You This Before by Karelia Stetz-Waters - I failed at reading this book this year. I did start this book and got about 40 pages in before I set it down, and never picked it up again. Absolutely nothing was wrong with the 40 pages I read, I just wasn't feeling in the mood for reading it at the time. This is really rare for me, because I'm the type of person who once I start a book, I finish it (I don't like to DNF a book). This year I really wasn't in the mood for reading contemporary novels, and a majority of the ones that I did read (with the exception of like 2 or 3), didn't blow me away. I think as I've grown older, my tastes have shifted more and I enjoy reading fantasy novels a lot more. That being said, I am still really intrigued by the plot of this novel and I hope to get around to finishing it.

4. The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi - And this is another book series I didn't get to. In my defense, I read a lot of other middle grade books this year (including a ton of Rick Riordan books and the WondLa Trilogy). But at the same time, these were the easiest books to read on my list because they're so short (there's five books and they're all under 150 pages), so I don't really have a great excuse for not getting to these.

5. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - And again, I still haven't read this. I've wanted to read this book for so long, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. This is another book that I still really want to read, I just didn't have the time to read it.

6. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson - And for the last book on my list, I did get to this one. I enjoyed this book, the art style and the story were fantastic. I also read more graphic novels this year, and I really enjoy them.

So of the 18 books in this list, I managed to read 7. I know that there still two weeks left in the year, but I've got a list of books I want to finish before then and unfortunately these titles aren't on that list. So I didn't do the best job of completing the books on this list, but I'd rather have more books on my TBR then to have none at all. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment