Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Books I Read In November


During the month of November I didn't have a whole lot of reading time, and I only managed to read 8 books. This was actually my worst reading month of the year, but I really liked to books I got around to reading during that time. So here are all the books I read in November and my thoughts and spoiler free opinions on them...

This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills - This book centers around Sloane, who has just moved to a new state and has never really had friends before she met twins, Vera and Gabe. During this book, Solan sets out on an adventure to recover a painting by the twin's late mother. I enjoyed this book and I really enjoy the authors writing. I did have some really high expectations for this book, because the author's first book First & Then rekindled my love for contemporary YA novels.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer - This is an origin story for the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, and centers around how Catherine became a villain. I really loved this book, I think the author did a fantastic job of capturing the environment of Lewis Carroll. I really like the story that Marissa Meyer created for Catherine and how it explains her character from Alice. Marissa Meyer is also the author of one of my favorite series, The Lunar Chronicles, and I absolutely love how she reinvents common stories in general.

The Royals Trilogy by Erin Watt - This series follows Ella after her mother's death, when she goes to live with a friend of her father's and his five sons. I hardly read straight up romance novels, but I was really intrigued by the Cinderella premiss. These books were a little ridiculous at points, but they were so addictive and entertaining. I really liked these books and the characters, and I'm actually looking forward to reading some similar books in the future.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Screenplay by J. K. Rowling - I picked this up almost immediately after seeing the film, and I absolutely loved reading it. I loved seeing how J. K. Rowling's descriptions were taken and created perfectly on screen. I also loved reading each character and seeing how they were translated, and how the actors added so much to their roles. I highly recommend seeing the movie and breezing through this (it's such a quick read), because they each add so much more to my love for the Wizarding World.

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon - This book centers around the day Natasha and Daniel meet, for Natasha it is her last day in the states before she's deported and for Daniel he has a college interview for the professions his parents want for him. I liked this book, Nicola Yoon is an amazing story teller and I really like her writing style. This book tackles some serious issues of race and immigration and I really love seeing these types of diversity in YA novels.

Truthwitch by Susan Denard - This book centers around the unlikely friendship of Safiya and Iseult, one is a Truthwitch and can tell truths from lies and the other is a Threadwitch and can see the ties of people around her. This book centers around their escape from the royals who want to use and kill Safiya for her Truthwitch powers. This book absolutely blew me away. I love how complex the world the world building it and I absolutely loved the characters and their relationships. This book was initially really hard for me to get into, but as I unraveled the characters stories and the world, I could not put it down. I absolutely can't wait for the release of the second book, Windwitch, next month.

And those are all the books I read during the month of November. I've already completed my reading challenge of 130 books for the year, but since I'm almost done with school, I'm going to have a lot of free time and I just want to catch up on my reading. I'm also hoping to catch up on all my Harry Potter rereadings, as I have slowly been making my way through Deathly Hallows, I still need to read the illustrated edition of the Chamber of Secrets, and I have yet to read the Pottermore short stories that were released a couple of months ago. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment