Monday, March 2, 2015

Books I Read in February


Even though February is a short month, I managed to read more books than I did last month! So here are my thoughts and opinions on the books that I read this month and I tried to keep them as spoiler free as possible.

His Fair Assassin Trilogy by Robin LaFevers - This trilogy follows three girls who are Death's handmaidens. I really loved this series, I loved how strong the female characters are, and I absolutely loved the plot. I actually wasn't aware that this series was historical-fiction until after I finished the first book, and I really enjoyed how LaFevers merged her story with the history of Anne of Brittany. I think these books are in the rare category of YA books whose plot isn't sacrificed for the sake of it's romantic side plot.

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan - I've been making my way through David Levithan's books and this one was just a miss for me. I was really intrigued by the summary and the use of photographs to move the story, but the characters and the plot didn't meet my expectations. I felt that the main character, Evan, was extremely one dimensional and I just want a fan of the writing style Levithan used for this book.


Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz - This book follows the friendship of two teenage boys named Aristotle (Ari for short) and Dante. Reading this book was an emotional roller coster for me, I absolutely fell in love with the characters and their story. This is honestly one of my favorite books.

This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - This book is the sequel to These Broken Stars (I blogged about in my last book post). This book started off a little slow but once I got about 100 pages in, I couldn't put it down. In the first book Kaufman and Spooner created this interesting and beautiful, futuristic and complicated world, that they expanded on in this one. I'm really looking forward to how everything will resolve in the last book, which is scheduled to come out at the end of this year.

Every Day by David Levithan - This book follows the story of A, a "spirit" who wakes up every day in a different person's body. One of the things I love about Levithan's books is that he creates unconventional, and interesting characters, my favorite part of this book was how the main character, A, wakes up in both male and female bodies and doesn't associate with a gender. A also inhabits a wide range of characters, who are incredibly interesting, and I think that they were the best parts of this book. I really wasn't a huge fan of the romance in this book and I didn't like how that aspect of the book ended, but the character development at the end made up for that.

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan - So here is another Levithan book, and this one was a really short, enjoyable read.  This is another one of Levithan's books that features unconventional characters and I think that's why I love his books.

That's all the books that I finished in February, I also started Levithan's Two Boys Kissing, so my mini review of that should be up in my March post. The other day I went to the library and picked up 3 books and I've still got two more on hold, so March should be a busy reading month as well. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment