Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Books I Read in September


In the month of September I read a total of 11 books and 3 graphic novels. I had a week last month where all I wanted to do was read, and I ended up finishing SIX of those books in that time. I've also been a pretty big graphic novel mood, and I'm slowly trying to build a collection. So here are all the books that I read and some of my nonspoilery opinions...

Starflight by Melissa Landers - This book is the first book in a sci-fi series, that centers around Solara and Doran, school rivals, who have to rely on each other to escape the accusations against them. This was a pretty quick and enjoyable read. I picked it up because I heard it had similar vibes to The Lunar Chronicles, and I really liked the space pirates theme in this book.

Books 3-5 in the Air Awakens series by Elise Kova - These are the last three books in the Air Awakens serieswhich is set in a world with elemental magic, where Vhalla discovers that she is the first air sorceress in 150 years. I absolutely loved the first two books in this series, which I read in August, and I was excited to finally be able to finish this series. I absolutely loved the third book, but I did find that the last two books lagged a little. I was really satisfied with how this series wrapped up

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan - This is the first book in Riordan's new trilogy, following Norse mythology. I enjoyed this book, but I didn't love it as much as the other books that I've read by Riordan. I really liked the diverse characters, but I had some issues with the narration, and I feel that Magnus' voice is too similar to Percy and Leo's. I am looking forward to reading the second book, which came out today, and learning more about Norse mythology.

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas - This is the fifth book in the Throne of Glass series. The ToG series is one of my absolute favorite series (right behind Harry Potter) and I have been anticipating the release of this book since QoS came out. I had such high expectations for this book and it did not disapoint, the writing was beautiful, I loved that we learned more about all of the characters, and I really loved the romances that developed. I absolutely love the development of this series as a whole, but this book especially. The ending of this book ruined me, and I cried so much while reading it, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with myself until the last book comes out. And one last (spoilery) thought, I think I'm the only person that wasn't bothered by the fact that Chaol is completely absent from this book...

Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi - This is a middle grade novel that follows, Alice Alexis Queensmeadow, who has to journey to a strange land to find her missing father. I really enjoyed this story and I absolutely loved the writing style, Mafi just writes beautiful books. I loved the fantasy worlds that Mafi created in this book, and although there were some really weird and creepy moments, I felt that the message of this book came together so well.

Saga, Volume 1 by  and  - This is a graphic novel that centers around Hazel, who was born to two different species that have been at war with each other. I really enjoyed this volume, I think that Vaughan and Staples have created a really interesting world and I'm curious to see where they take it. I'm hoping to read the other volumes in the next couple of months.   

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon - This book follows Madaline, a girl who allergic to everything, after Olly moves in next door. This was a really cute and fast read (it only took me like 3-4 hours to read). I really liked Madaline's character and her story is so unique. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance in this book, but I liked how the story ended. 


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - This book follows a group of criminals as they try to pull off a dangerous, impossible heist. I've seen so much hype surrounding this book and it was really good. I loved the characters and the story, but because of all the hype, I went into this with too high of expectations. I still really enjoyed this book, and I'm glad that I finally got to read it.


Prodigy: the Graphic Novel by Marie Lu, Leigh Dragoon, and Kaari - This is the graphic novel adaption of the second book in the Legend Trilogy. I liked this more than the first novel's adaption. It still had it's problems with pacing, but I really love the art style and I'm looking forward to the third adaption. 

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan - This is a collection of myths told from the perspective of Percy. I'm currently taking a class on Greek and Roman mythology and I thought now would be the perfect time to read this. These are definitely more kid friendly than the stuff I'm reading for class, but I like how Riordan handled the mature material. And it was really great to read from Percy 1st person narration, and I really enjoyed reading this. 

A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir - This is the second installment of the An Ember in the Ashes series. This was such a good installment, I really liked the first book when I read it last year, but I did forget a lot of the details of the first book and so I found it a little hard to get into this book. I really loved the story and character development in this book, I especially love how much we learned of Helene in this book. The ending of this book was crazy and I'm looking forward to seeing where Tahir takes these characters.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel by Ransom Riggs and Cassandra Jean - This is the graphic novel adaption of the book by the same name. I decided to pick this up immediately before watching the movie, and I'm so glad that I did because I forgot so much of this story. I really like how Cassandra Jean translated the story into art form, and I love how much detail went into the art style. Overall this was a great adaption, and I'm looked forward to reading the rest in the series.

And those are all the books I read in September, I also started reading Crooked Kingdom but I didn't finish it until yesterday. There's so many new books that are coming out this month that I hope to get to! - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment