Saturday, March 5, 2016

Books I Read In February 2016


February started out as a really good reading month, I read 5 books in the first week(!), and then school took over my life. Overall I managed to finish 9 books, and I started Persuasion by Jane Austen and the fourth book in the Mortal Instruments series. So here's the books I read last month and my thoughts and opinions on them:

A Hero for WondLa and The Battle for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi - These are the second and third books in the WondLa trilogy, which follows a girl who seems to be the last human on earth. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, and I really loved the last two books in this trilogy. I really loved the journey and development that the characters went through. I was really satisfied with the conclusion of this series, and I look forward to reading more of DiTerlizzi's works.

Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay - This is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, that follows a blind princess as she tries to save her kingdom that is falling apart. I love a good fairy tale retelling, and this was a very good retelling. I really enjoyed the story and the romance aspect. I also really liked Jay's writing style, and reading a story from the perspective of someone who is blind. Jay also has written a Sleeping Beauty retelling, titled Princess of Thorns, and I'm looking forward to picking it up soon.

The Siren by Kiera Cass - This book follows Kahlen, a siren, who is working for the ocean to repay her life debt when she falls in love with a human. I'm a huge fan of Kiera Cass' works and this original version of this book really didn't interest me, but it was recently rewritten and rereleased so I decided to give it a chance. I ended up really liking this book, I really liked the Greek mythology aspects as well as Kahlen's relationship with her sister sirens and the ocean. But I didn't really buy into the romance of this book, it had it's moments but I think it could have been developed more, because it seemed very insta-love. Overall I did enjoy this book, I just didn't love it as much as Cass' other works.

Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca - This book follows former best friends, Kelsey and David, and is told in alternating perspectives from before and after their fall out. I thought this book was okay, I liked it enough to continue reading it, but nothing really stood out to me. But I was a fan of some of the family elements and it was still entertaining enough that I managed to fly through reading.

Books 1-3 in The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare - I've finally jumped on the bandwagon and started reading this series. I have seen so much hype about this series, and going in I knew that the series starts to pick up after the second book. So far that information has really helped because so far I feel that the series is just okay, I'm enjoying the books but I have yet to be blown away. I really like some of the background characters more than the main characters and I've had some problems with the plot of these books but I do look forward to continuing on.

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare - This is the first book in the Infernal Devices trilogy, the prequel series to the Mortal Instruments. I've seen better things about this trilogy than I have about TMI series, and I can understand why. I prefer the characters and the storyline of these books so far, partially because these books are set in the 1800's so the characters aren't as whiny... But anyways, I like how the two series intertwine, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Clare develops the relationship between the two.

And those are the books that I read in February. This month I intend on finishing Persuasion, the rest of Cassandra Clare's books (I'm working on those in the order that they were published), and a ton of new books came out last month that I didn't get around to reading. I'm really looking forward to spring break this month, because I intend on spending a good chunk of my time reading. As always, feel free to follow me on Goodreads to see my ratings for these books and to see my progress this month. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment