Sunday, April 2, 2017

Books I Read in March


I had a good reading month, I managed to read 12 books total and 6 of those books were of the seven I planned to read during spring break (I didn't get to Caraval). Even though I read a ton in March, I'm still behind on my reading goal... So here are the books I read and some of my thoughts and opinions on them.

A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab - This is the last book in the Shades of Magic Trilogy. I loved this book, this whole trilogy is one of my favorites. I love the character and story developments. The world that Schwab has created in this series is beautiful and so complex. I'm very sad that this trilogy has ended but Schwab has hinted that she might return to this world again.

Stranger Than Fanfiction by Chris Colfer - This book follows four friends, who have bonded over a TV show, that go on a road trip with one of the actors from that show. I'm a huge Chris Colfer fan, I really loved his last YA book, Struck by Lightning, and his middle grade series, but I was really skeptical about the plot of this book. I had enough good things about this book, so I decided to give this a try. I actually ended up liking this book, it was very character driven and I really enjoyed that aspect.

Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall - This book is about best friend/neighbors, Gideon and Kyle, as they realize they like each other as more than friends. This was a cute and very quick read. I did have some problems with the main female character, especially her characterization, but overall I liked this book.

At the Edge of the Universe by Shaun David Hutchinson - This book follows Ozzie after his boyfriend disappears because the universe is shrinking. Last year, I read We Are The Ants by Hutchinson and it is one of my all time favorite books, so going into reading this I had really high expectations and they were met. I absolutely loved this book, this book is so beautiful and the story is so incredibly moving and profound.

We Are Okay by Nina Lacour - This book follows Marin, who after her grandfather dies, she moves across the country and tries to forget her old life and friends. This was another quick read, that I enjoyed this month. It is very character driven, but there's mystery elements that I think added to the story.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling - This was a reread for me, since both the new edition with added content and the audiobook with Eddie Redmayne were released. I really loved the new content and I especially loved Redmayne's narration. Redmayne brought so much of Newt's character to this book, so that it was more than just reading a textbook. Although I was disappointed that the new hardcovers removed Harry, Ron and Hermione's commentary from the original edition.

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamine Alire Sáenz - This book follows an Sal and his friends as they navigate their lives, from getting ready to go to college and experiencing death. This is another book that I had a lot of high expectations for, because Sáenz wrote one of my all time favorite books, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, and my expectations were met with this one. I loved this book, I loved the writing and how the plot relied heavily on the characters and their development.  

By Your Side by Kasie West - This book follows Autumn, who finds herself locked in a library during a long weekend with her school's resident bad boy. This was another quick and cute read. I really enjoy Kasie West's writing, and I overall really liked this book.

The Wish Granter by C.J. Redwine - This is a Rumplestiltskin retelling and the second book in a series of standalone retellings. I absolutely loved the first book, The Shadow Queen, and I was really disappointed by this book. I found the plot of this book to be too drawn out, I didn't really care for the main characters or the instalove.

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare - This is the first book in Cassandra Clare's new series set in the Shadowhunter universe that is set 5 years after The Mortal Instruments. I absolutely loved this book, I love the characters and the mystery elements involving the story. One of my main issues with The Mortal Instruments series was that I didn't particularly care for the main characters, and I did not have the same issue with this book, I absolutely love both Emma and Julian, especially how they developed and both their relationship developed. I can't wait to read the sequel, Lord of Shadowswhen it comes out next month.

Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamine Alire Sáenz - This book follows Zach, an 18 year old, who is in rehab, instead of high school and he doesn't remember why. As with all the books I've read by Sáenz so far, I loved the writing. I really liked the main character and how so much of this book is faced on the relationships he builds with other people.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas - This is the first book in a Beauty and the Beast retelling, where Feyre is a hunter who is taken from her family for killing a faerie. This was another reread as I'm getting read for the third book in the first trilogy to come out next month. This was an interesting experience for me, because I absolutely loved this book the first time I read it. This time I didn't love it as much because my perspective of the world and some of it's characters has changed so much after reading the second book. I still absolutely loved this series, it's one of my favorites, and I can't wait to continue on with my reread.

And those were all the books I read in March. My school schedule has gotten worse in the past couple of weeks, so I'm probably not going to be able to blog or read as much as I would like, but I'm going to try and cram in as much as possible. - Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment